Tuesday, May 27, 2014

No regrets choosing Scotland over Nigeria – Anya

Scotland international of Nigerian descent, Ikechi Anya has admitted that he does not regret playing for Scotland instead of Super Eagles.
Twenty six-year-old Anya, who has a Nigerian father, but was brought up in Scotland said that Scottish national team was always the only choice for him. “My love of football developed when I was in Scotland so I was always going for that.
Ikechi Anya
Ikechi Anya
“For me it was always going to be Scotland,” Anya said, adding, “that was where I started playing football at school and where I learnt everything. That was one of the main reasons I chose Scotland when I knew they were interested.


“When I was really young I was in Nigeria but I cant remember it. I appreciate the Nigerian side from my father and the Romanian side of my mother but that is them and I chose Scotland.
“My dad is a typical Nigerian man, he’s all about education so football-wise it was really just my mum – when she knew Scotland were interested she was very happy for me.
“My dad has taken more of an interest now because obviously his son is a footballer so he tries to support me. But he’s a big academic, my brother is a doctor and he tried to put me down that route but I tried football and luckily it worked out.”
Anya, who plays for English side Watford, has made five appearances for Scotland since September 2013 and scored one goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment